Monday, July 22, 2013

When you were young

Mmm this was one week that will go down in the books of forgetfulness and sleep deprivation. Let’s see how I do recalling the dream that happens to be my life right now. That was kind of a pun.
So going back to the beginning of the week, after I dropped off my dear friends at the airport to go home, it started to all come together. The transfers we were preparing for finally arrived. I took the truck to the airport and got stuck in traffic. We have to drive by ourselves because there are not enough drivers so I always feel pretty out of place. It was a stressful morning. We barely made it there on time to see the 35 brand spankin’ new missionaries coming up the elevator to greet us. “Hey man I’m Elder Merrill, how you doin”?
“Hey I’m tanner… err.. I mean Elder..”
“Ha hey Tanner it’s good to meet you” I remember it taking a long time for me to forget my name and remember the tag I get to wear. It’s a tough one. Why didn’t I ever get to train? That’s still a dream of mine. Hopefully I’ll get to towards the end of my mission. Anyways, after we got everyone’s bags and pulled the cars around we packed away as many as we could fit, which happened to be about half the bags. We didn’t really know what to do. Everywhere was full. So we just kept slowly putting random bags in random cracks and crevices till it all fit and everyone had a bag on their lap ha. Good calculations on the room for luggage. Woops. We’ll have to do better on that next time around.
We got everyone all settled in the mission office building and fed everyone some lunch. Elder Draper and I did a little pump up to the new missionaries to get them excited to be in the field and then ditched to take care of everything we had to do for transfers. Bikes, assignments, carpools, logistics of white washes and all that good stuff I never want to do again. Transfers came and went and actually went pretty smoothly. President interviews all of the new missionaries throughout the day so he was in his office for like 7 or more hours. Rough. He didn’t finish until about 9:00pm and then still had to make assignments to which companions the new missionaries would go with. So Elder Draper and I took everyone in the chapel and sang hymns and had a testimony meeting while we were waiting. President came in with his decisions and we got everyone’s bikes and luggage all packed away by around 10:45pm. The only problem was that there wasn’t enough room for everyone’s luggage to be taken to their area, and we knew that would happen. So we put all the extras in our truck and went around the mission to deliver it all. We didn’t get back to our apartment till 3am... and we were up since 5am that day for all the prep for the transfers. So it felt like a pretty long day. Good day though. I learned a lot. Elder Draper is sick this week too because of all the lack of sleep and stress and who knows what else. I feel fine for now though… keep those fingers crossed for me. I appreciate it.
I just want to be in a normal proselyting area. That sounds like a dream. I was so much more satisfied by the end of the day. Even though I can’t say I slept more soundly in that situation than I do now. I’m a pretty good sleeper all of the sudden. But… still feels better the other way.
Our investigator from WWU is still golden.
We had a meeting on Friday with all the new missionaries and their trainers. I conducted and did a lot of training with Elder Draper. It was fun. We taught and demonstrated how to introduce the Book of Mormon to people and talked about goals and key indicators and all that basic “missionary stuff.” The only problem is that we didn’t have time to prepare any outline or way to teach our material so we kind of winged it… but it went alright. Luckily it wasn’t on anything too deep and we had taught it before together.
We actually have a lot of time to proselyte this next week because President will be doing interviews. I'm stoked for that. We already have lessons set up with some potential investigators that we haven't been able to contact. It will be a good week to relax and work hard. I think I need it.




No comments: