Monday, September 17, 2012

Sep 17th, 2012

So I got a letter from Thomas (his friend on a mission in Mexico) that he sent about two months ago. I just wanted to steal a line he wrote me, it's so true. "The hours are fast, the days are slow, the weeks fly past and the months just go." He's a clever little guy. I've been out a month now (almost) and it happened so fast. I've had a couple times when I look at this moment, the present moment, from hindsight. I don't know how to explain it but I almost miss this moment. I think it's because there is so much potential to be discovered that if I blink one too many times during a day I could miss something that could have changed everything.


Time is nothing if not a double edged sword. It's killing me to have this "time" of two years between us. Though it's also not enough time to accomplish all that is possible here. I already miss the people that I haven't had to say good bye too.


Mr. Smith found something that I like to call happiness. His life is rough, he sits in his big chair all day and considers it a successful triumph if he takes his pills on time. When I first met him, his only response was, "OK," to all of our questions. That actually hasn't changed much but now he has something in his eyes. He smiles and laughs and I asked him to be baptized on October 13th. He said yes!


Brandi is starting to find that same gift. She looks different. She already was inherently a kinder person than I could ever be but now she is finding more than she asked for. We're reading the Book of Mormon with her now and she says she finally understands things now. So that's always good to hear.


It was weird. So for the past couple weeks I've been doing alright. I've been keeping it together and just losing myself in the work. When I first got here, and the past years in this area of Penn Cove, the work was dead. Nothing was moving. The timing is aligning pretty well with me being here because now we're leading the zone. We're being blessed more than we could ever deserve.


So tonight I have a lesson with a new investigator that we tracted into and then we are having family home evening at the Somes (members. they're the best) with Brandi. We're watching the Joseph Smith movie. I'm so excited because she has been curious about the beginning of our church. It's perfect.


I love reading Jesus The Christ so much. I'm also reading Mere Christianity whenever I can find time like during lunch and stuff. I'm reading through the Book of Mormon and am projected to finish by Christmas. lots of reading and I still feel like I want more time! ha.


So... guess what?


The church is true


love you so much..


Elder Trent Jay Merrill

No comments: