Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Trip on the Road

There was a lot that happened this week. A lot of good things. A lot of painful things... but not too painful. Just momentary. I guess I'll start with transfer day. I woke up and could tell that it was going to be "one of those days."

We picked up the new missionaries from the airport and gave something of an "inspirational welcome...". The time came when we handed out the transfer slips to the zone leaders and then it was set. I was heading to Bellingham as a ZL. I had a new companion and area and that was my new duty and role in the mission. President was interviewing the new missionaries in his office and opened the door as I walked by to leave on my road trip. I said, "Well I'm about to leave, President." We hugged and shed a few tears until a new missionary walked in without knocking ha.

I went outside and sat on one of the new bikes in the parking lot and talked to Elder Draper about everything. I miss him. Sister Bonham came out and also shared a tearful goodbye.

It's like another world here in Bellingham. I walk into my new home, and Sister P., the nicest lady in the world greets us. Every morning we come back from the gym and she has a protein shake smoothie there waiting for us. My first night I told her I hadn't done my laundry because I didn't have a p-day the day before. So I put them in and I wake up and all my clothes are folded and she is sewing the holes in my clothes ha. She is an angel.

The day after transfers we had zone meeting. It was nice to teach zone meeting again. This zone is really young. I think we're going to push them. Really push them and help them feel loved and accountable. That's our goal. There is so much potential up here. I want to know how we can sustain progress. We have days that are the highest in the mission for the zone. Then it decreases another day. We're praying about how we can maintain consistency. As for our area, Elder Pectol and I just walk around campus all day and talk with people like they're friends and find new investigators left and right. It's the best. Before I left the office we made a district meeting outline and had everyone in the mission track their contacts during the day. A contact is defined by: teaching a principle to and leave an invitation to a non member. Elder Pectol and I had 51 one day outside of teaching appointments and everything else. It's been so nice to get out and work again. I feel really happy. A lot less stressed.

So we showed up at church yesterday and found out there was a non member there. So we go over and talk with him and he said he's taking institute, been to church before, and already had the lessons. Umm... so we just talked to him about his band and stuff ha. He'll be baptized soon.

Saturday morning we had like twenty minutes to spare before a meeting with our ward mission leader so we just went to the college and contacted for a bit. There were two girls who were going to breakfast that we started talking to and ended up meeting an hour later in the library. The day before there was a girl walking to class that I talked to and was able tot each her the first lesson and get a return appointment right there. Stuff like that happens all day here ha. It's crazy. Maybe it was just a good week. I don't know.

I was on a mini exchange with some other elders and we just went tracting around their area. My goal is to always find a new investigator on every exchange we go on. It can happen. Expect miracles and they happen. I've seen it. On like our fifth door a guy opens the door and gives a us a mean stank face. Ha so sassy. I asked him his name and he was like, "Pshh what's yo name son!?" We talked for a bit and he let us in. We talked for like 40 minutes and was able to teach him. It was a funny lesson. At one point he said, "Da**it, Merrill! You know you got black in you right!?" I was like, "You right. You right." Before we left we were talking about what he should wear to church and he was like, "Merrill, you know we brotha's got to look good a church!" He came to church yesterday.

Some day the clock will end and I won't get to do this any more. I want to enjoy these moments while they last. Workin hard. Playin hard. It's life up here in the B-ham. I miss you guys. I love you.

Breaking the wall,

Elder Trent Jay Merrill

No comments: