Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Rise and Fall: May 5, 2014

I am grateful to be alive today. It's one of those days where I woke up wondering, "What in the world is going to happen to me for the rest of my mission." I feel blessed to be at peace with whatever does end up happening. I believe it's a gift from my Father in Heaven that he allows me to feel calm and sure with the waves of uncertainty and curiosity surrounding me. I love the gospel that allows that gift to be in my life. I never felt that before in my earlier years. There is power in the true principles of relying on Christ and allowing the enabling power of the atonement to take place in my heart. It's almost like the proverbial energy drink that allows me to do things beyond my normal ability. That's how my Papa described it to me and I took note. I think Paul said it best, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." 

I have had a fascination with people this week. I always do and have had that intrigue but this week was special. I found my self smiling when I saw anyone, regardless of their looks or manners. I just wanted to see people and see how they acted. The common thought that came to my mind was, "What is your story?" I know that every has unique experiences and beliefs that affect their every decision. I find it interesting to see who will sit in the back of the bus or who will sit by the bus driver and strike up a conversation. I want to know how to see from their lenses. I love people with a lot more sincerity when I think about them that way. I can somewhat trip myself out when I think about it long enough at a stop light. I see someone next to me with long hair and a beard who, stereotypically, wouldn't want to talk to me. Yet, only maybe 50 years ago we were in the same place (with God). It's an awakening to me to see that they are my brothers and sisters. We truly are connected and I just need to understand them enough to help them awaken the truths they've already learned. 

Ken is the one on the left. Dan is the one right by him. I love them dearly




I love you. 

Cheers


Elder Trent Jay Merrill 

No comments: