Monday, October 8, 2012

Constancy in change

Well it seems the only constant out here is change. My whole district changed. I love it though. We are already slappin butts and hugging anytime we see each other so you know we have something special. Today (preparation day) we just went bowling and played frisbee golf all day.

Dusty the old guy sitting down is an investigator in the other ward
that i covered for a bit. so i won't see him anymore,
Elder Stout and Pelfreyman,. they're so cool and the new elders in the district
Elder and Sister Burningham 
(Sister Burningham called you a while ago remember mom) 
This week seemed especially long for some reason. Conference was amazing. Who knew that if you actually watched and listen to the Prophet of the Lord you would receive revelation? Just last night we were driving home from Coupeville and My companion asked if we should see anyone else before we went home. Normally I just say, "Nope, I can't think of anyone." And we go home. Before I was able to say my usual answer the name Marvin came into my head. Marvin is a quiet black man who we tracted into one day while he was outside his trailer home. He didn't seem interested at all a month ago and we haven't seen him since then. So I shook off the thought and we started driving. Then the thought came back into my head and I would usually just ignore it because I have random thoughts all the time. Then I thought back to conference, about all of the messages on following the promptings of the spirit and not ignoring them. So I just blurted out, "Marvin! We need to see Marvin." My companion looked at me and said, "Ok well you're going to do the talking because I don't know why we're going there." I was like, "OK," and we went towards Marvin's place. We knocked and Marvin answered and invited us in. First miracle. We started talking with him and found out it was his birthday. Second miracle. We ended up talking for about an hour and gave him the first lesson and now we have another appointment with him next week and he's our new investigator. Miracle number three.

I was writing one night and I had this pestering thought that I was becoming unoriginal. Or at least I'm predictable. I'm changing and becoming who I am supposed to be. For some reason that bothered me. I was longing for some individuality. I didn't like the idea of becoming who I was expected to be. Then I took another step back and thought about how I only had those kinds of thoughts when I wasn't relying on Christ. Who really cares what my outward appearance is on a the trivial level? I am not changing just on the outside where it may seem expected. Most could have guessed that I would be maturing while on a mission. But... what isn't as easily perceived is the internal change that I can't even describe. Words aren't sufficient for the feelings that I experience. Maybe that is also expected. But I don't care. That's not as important as I thought it was. I could jump off of a roof and no one would have expected that, but does that really make me individual? Yeah kind of actually... so I don't know.

Me
Also I saw a mail truck the other day and I felt just as excited as I did seeing an ice cream truck when I was a kid. I wonder what it will be in twenty years from now that gets me those kinds of feelings.

I think my favorite talk at General Conference was Bowen. Where he talked about the plan of salvation and coping with loss. I don't know why. It was so real. So powerful. So much hope. They talked about missionary work a ton. I felt kind of... i don't know. It was just like hey i'm really on a mission. This is a big deal. General Authorities are talking about me right now to the world.

I go to the doctor tomorrow for my shoulder so i'll tell you about it next p-day. Pray for me.


Stay Christian,

Elder Trent Jay Merrill

No comments: