Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Once again

I can't really think of anything that happened this week. I think a lot happened but I am just empty. Carl didn't get baptized on Saturday, but not because he bailed, it was just too busy at the church so it's rescheduled for this upcoming Saturday. We went to our lesson with Marvin yesterday and he wasn't there and his wife said he didn't want to read the Book of Mormon. Which is really too bad because it's what he needs. Ah, I love that book.

I kind of had a... moment. I don't know what to call it actually. We were at an investigator's watching a conference talk around her kitchen counter. In the other room was her brother cussing at the TV and chilling with his friends. I remember looking at her watching this video and seeing the battle that she fights. It was almost a literal depiction of the "world" in her brothers room and the happiness and the hope in the room we were in. For some reason I was just stunned. It's not just the rap music but just the two drastic lifestyles that were in the same house and how she battles the two every day. The subtleties of Satan are a little clearer to me now. The line is drawn and I was witnessing both realities simultaneously. She could walk five steps into her brothers room and into the arms of digression and complacency . Or she could stay in the battle. Strive and struggle.. and walk into the arms of her Savior and finally be at peace. I don't know. It was definitely a smack in the face. I don't know why, but consider my face smacked.

Today we are going to our investigator's daughter's birthday party. I don't remember if I told you guys about her. Her husband was a member as a kid but hasn't gone since he was 14 and she has never been. He's away on deployment. Oh, and did I tell you that my area is on a military base so I mostly just work with military? I don't know if I ever told you that. Anyways, he's gone and she is wanting to learn about the church. Her kids love us so she moved the party from Saturday to our P-day so that we could come. I'm stoked.

Elder Gay, (he spoke in conference) came to our mission and we talked and listened to him for like 9 hours! ah it was so incredible. I was so pumped. I'll have to tell you more about it when i have time. I can't believe i forgot that. I'm sorry.

McKenna i know a little girl named mckenna in the ward who looks like you did as a kid and i just hang with her all the time. we're best buds. just because she has your name and i miss you like crazy.

Well I should have my first baptism this next Saturday.

I'm going to wear a blue tie.


I love you, dear family. God be with you till we email again.


Elder Trent Jay Merrill

No comments: