Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Week three at the MTC

Another week, another month, another year. I'm not sure which I just experienced. Time is in a completely different reality than it was before. I don't know how to explain it. I've heard people say the days feel like weeks and the weeks feels like days, that's exactly right.

I have a lot of stories to tell you guys so I'll jump right into it. Mom, Dad and Kenna I saw that you wrote me on dearelder but I haven't gotten them yet so when I do i'll write you back in the mail. I don't have enough time to read them online. Lindsay and Joe I got your dearelder and it made my whole day so I'll try and write you guys back today too.

First of all I'm happy so if you're worried about me... don't be. Second of all: I did 1/4 mile of lunges like Dave challenged me and I couldn't walk for a week so thanks for that, Dave.

My companion was sent home last week. It was pretty hard for the first little bit but I'm getting used to it now. Another guy in my district went home as well so it's been kind of a rough week for my district. We're hanging in there though and are still learning a lot. I have the material down pretty well now. I will always have tons of room for improvement but I feel like I have a handle on most everything now. I'm sure that will change once I'm out in the real world.

My new comp and I are getting along really well. One thing I love about him is that he has an amazing voice but he can't sing any song without hearing it first. He has the tune wrong in his head so when he sings Nearer My God to the to the tune of Praise to the Man, he has no idea. It's one of my favorite things I've experienced here. Also, we started going to the bathroom on the second floor because it's a nicer bathroom (not really but it just feels cooler.) So lucky for me there is a couch area just outside the bathroom with a big TV that has a cycle of photographs of places around the world. Mom, Dad, you will like this part. I sat down to watch it while I waited for my comp to come out of the bathroom and the photos went in this order when I first sad down: Dublin, Ireland. Toronto, Canada. Seattle, Washington. I just sat there and was like, "hmm, that feels a little bit coincidental." The next one was New Zealand so maybe my son will be going there on his mission or something. I don't know.

So i'm going to let you guys in on a little secret here in the MTC. Hidden throughout this place are these little treasure that we like to call "narnia holes." Basically the past Elders got bored and started stashing random stuff in random places for us to find. My district was laughing about it for the whole night. We don't have much entertainment here in the MTC so that was a big deal. We'll stash something somewhere before we go too. You know, leave our mark.

My district is getting along really well. After the TRC (training resource center, i think) we all just sit around outside and talk for about an hour and joke around. That's one of my favorite parts of the day. We all connect and it makes me feel like I belong here. There are a lot of funny Elders in my district so we all have a pretty good time. In the TRC there are volunteers who volunteer to be investigators. My companion and I have had some amazing experiences there and we feel pretty good about it. I'm starting to see that I'm not all that important. Without the Holy Ghost, there would be no conversion. I'm just here to invite and help others receive it. Pretty cool job I have for the next two years.

So I've had a paradigm shift. I used to pray away these feelings of longing for you guys. I am starting to see it as a blessing. I feel so much. I think I can empathize and feel so much for my investigators. I want more than anything for them to know that they can be with those they love forever! If I didn't have that knowledge I could not be out here right now. I am so blessed to have that truth and to have you guys as my family. I'm actually grateful for those feelings now. My testimony has never been stronger, i'm sure that was to be expected. Without Christ I would be lost. I am loving every minute that I get to study his gospel and his life. I am starting to read Jesus the Christ and it's absolutely blowing my mind.

Oh last quick story. You guys think I eat a lot. Let me give you guys a bit of perspective. There's this big football player that I talk to a lot and today for breakfast he had 22 hard boiled eggs and a loaf of bread. I was so stoked about it.

I love you guys so much. I love your letters. They get me through the day. Thank you for your support.

No comments: