Monday, July 21, 2014

Elder Merrill's LAST two letters from the mission field!

“Some Soft Spots,”                July 14, 2014

I'm gaining more empathy for Johnny Cash when he said, "I've been everywhere man." This week I went from Blaine (Canadian border) down to Seattle, and from Darrington (mudslide place but further east) to the Puget Sound in the west. We didn't even plan any of those trips but they just kind of "happened upon us," if you know what I mean. Probably not, that's ok. I loved this week. I absolutely loved it.

The trip out to Darrington was a nice little surprise. The day before we were going up to Bellingham and Ferndale to do exchanges, President came to us and asked if we would go to Darrington and take a whole zone with us to do a big service project. We, of course, said yes and went on our way up to Bellingham. The morning after the exchange we drove down to the mission office and picked up a bunch of missionaries in the world famous Ford E350 A.K.A. The White Buffalo! The road trip out to the boonies felt like a junior high field trip. You betcha. We were just all joking around and having fun. It was a good ole time. The scenery was beautiful and breath taking or, should I say, beautifully breath taking? Probably not. Anyways, there were luscious greens all over the hill sides and in the valley. It was something else. As we kept driving we hit the modern day "land of desolation" and all went silent. It was very sobering to see the destruction that happened as a result of the mudslide. All of the houses and neighborhoods that used to be there were now an empty space of dirt and debris. We kept driving for another half hour or so and then got to the local cafe in down town Darrington, if there is such a thing. The lady that was in charge of the food bank gave us some free pizza and then we all went out and got sweatydirtnasty the rest of the day. That's a new word I made up. Twas. Dope. We unloaded a huge semi full of food and delivered it to another semi (for whatever reason) and then unloaded it in there. It probably took almost five hours. Everyone was so wet and sweaty. I seriously have a soft spot in my heart for that beloved day. A day full of hard working service with missionaries of the Lord. I think everything is kind of a soft spot for me right now though. I miss everything.

President also asked us to go pick up some stuff at the Seattle Mission Office. That was pretty fun. We had a tour of what goes on there with the maps and areas that they cover. We asked how it was all ran and organized and what not. I learned a lot of good stuff. I love hearing and learning about the way other missions do things. It's quite interesting.

We gave talks in Sacrament Meeting yesterday. Oh, what a rush. It was on the Holy Ghost. I guess I don't have much to say about that I don't know why I brought it up.

Well, anyways...


Elder Trent Jay Merrill



“I am a Witness”       July 21, 2014

This will be a tough one to not seem overly dramatic. I apologize in advance for the embarrassing display of emotion, my friends. I’m working on it.

I might start with the trivial and end with the thoughts that I can’t shake from my heart. I have a new companion in addition to Elder Largent. Elder Stack came in and is three packing with us until... well... next Monday. I have had an amazing week. We are focusing on prioritizing time and resources. It's been opening a lot more time for us to just get out and knock on some doors. I enjoy every moment of every day. I am tired beyond belief, but I'm sustained and energized. Somehow. I know how. God is good. Though within the prioritizing and using our resources as wisely as possible we still found ourselves all over the mission. That’s ok, too. We’ve just been listening to talks and fueling the spirit that loves that kind of stuff.

I was on exchanges with the Everett zone leaders this week and we just threw down some mad baptism beats. Beat boxing and rapping up a storm while we cruised the streets of Broadway and beyond.  I think it brought the spirit, or something did, because we found five new investigators in just a couple hours. It was a day of miracles and laughter. I wish days like that would last forever.

I don't fear the future, ok, that's only a half lie. I don't feel fear for the future AS LONG AS I stay close to the spirit. I have learned, among so many other things that "God will never forsake." I have complete confidence that "His ways are higher than our ways and His thoughts than our thoughts,” especially mine. I feel peace right now even with all the distractions and things which could easily beset me. The spirit of God does not fail us. It is promised to those who are faithful after receiving the authorized ordinance of baptism. Whenever I don’t feel its guidance or comfort then I immediately know that I need to repent and align my will with the Father. I'm not perfect at this whole thing, obviously. I just know that it's true. I know is that I have come acquainted with the Master and His teachings. I know that His power and authority is real and that it is given to qualified men on the earth. That is the way God wants it to be done. I know that the Brethren are inspired men of God who are special witnesses of our Savior. There is power in their words because they are Christ's words. I know that I can confirm the words they say as I pray and seek for a confirmation through the spirit. I know that more happiness and joy come through obedience to the laws and ordinances of the gospel than any other source or avenue. Yep, obedience is the secret to it all, folks. It’s what opens up more capacity to love. It’s what conquers our doubts and clears our eyes. It’s what allows us to see the hand of God in our lives. I know that the truth of God stands independent and unchangeable from our perspective.

As some singer once said, “The road is long and the river is wide.” My next step in the journey is the same as it was yesterday and the day before: Love God. Love man.

If only a little longer,



Elder Trent Jay Merrill




No comments: