Thursday, July 10, 2014

Trent's letter from July 7, 2014


Mission Leader Council went wonderfully well this week, hopefully. I think it did. The night before the big meeting we were up all night with one of my friends named Elder Stack. He’s a brilliant man who can pretty much do anything in his head or on a computer. Same thing. He’s working in the office to create reports and excel sheets for the metrics of the mission. Anyways, he slept over with us the night before MLC and worked on all that kind of stuff. We finally went to bed around 2:30AM and slept beautifully for almost four hours. 

The new day began and the meeting came. Elder Largent and I trained on invitations, commitments and following up. I want to apply those principles in my future life. If I knew the truths I’ve learned from being on a mission while in high school, man, I could have done a lot more with my life. It would have helped school, relationships, happiness, peace, respect, everything. Specifically chapters 11 and 8 (and 6, 10, 5, 4, 2… too many good ones) of Preach my Gospel will be beneficial and crucial. Anyways, as I was instructing and talking about commitments I had a thought: What would it be like if Christ were to teach a lesson and invite someone to keep a commitment such as living the law of chastity? Would he say something like, “So I explained the law of chastity, it’s way good if you keep it. I’ve already told you the good and bad of it. You should keep it. Will you do that?” I have a feeling he would be a little more urgent and loving. I think he would urge and plead with all of his heart that we would keep the commandment so that we can be blessed. He would do everything he could to help US CHOOSE to commit to it. Why? It’s because He loves us, of course, perfectly and without fail. How are we, as representatives of Jesus Christ, to be any different than that example that Christ has set? He will always invite boldly and with love for people to repent, change and live in accordance with his gospel. It’s not for His own gain, but for His brothers and sisters, just as it is with us. We invite people to keep commitments not for our own gain, but for theirs. We need to teach clearly, powerfully and lovingly to help these friends understand that. 

Anyways, moral of the story, keep the commandments of the Lord and you will gain insight, knowledge, increased faith, happiness, direction and clarity, to name just a few. I testify that there is no other way of true and lasting happiness than through this, the restored gospel of Jesus Christ, though there are things that are very close. There are many shades of this “good” but there is only one “strait and narrow path” in which we should enter.  I have been commissioned of Jesus Christ to share this truth with everyone who will hear. I love you :)

One of our investigators is on a roller coaster of progression. One day we’re not sure if she’s “getting it.” Then on another day, like Saturday, we came over and she said, “That’s it. I’ve thrown all my cigarettes away, no more coffee, only herbal tea.” Then she kicked her friend out and said, “I need to have lessons so I can get baptized soon!” That’s always a good sign. She and her husband came to church and enjoyed it. They’ve been coming pretty consistently lately. It’s been making us (and Heavenly Father) so very happy.  I am developing more of Christ-like love for her and the people we are working with. My letters are definitely tainted by the current emotion that I feel. I do have great faith that this area can continue to see miracles “after all we can do.” I only say that last part because I want to emphasize the importance of our choices and responsibilities in carrying out the work of the Lord. I have learned, among many other things, that without an ACT in accordance with God’s commandments we will not see results or have our faith increased. I know that miracles come from the application of true, God given principles within the time table of Deity. I know that our choices are crucial to everything. I am not an object to be acted upon, no matter the emotions, tendencies or temptations that surround me. I can choose to ACT differently and righteously, and then comes the power. There is power in knowledge and there is wisdom in obedience. It takes both. I hope that in some small way I am able to help our investigator understand the concept of actions, responsibility and grace. Just in a simpler way than I just explained.

I think it’s really hitting me that this whole thing will soon be a fond dream. I feel torn in so many ways. I feel love and peace in conflicting pieces. I feel gratitude for the opportunity I have had to dedicate my life to the Lord. I know the journey doesn't end here. I will always be a missionary. My tag is painted in my heart, as Paul said, “not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God.”

Cheers,


Elder Trent Jay Merrill 


P.S. I love you

No comments: