Thursday, July 10, 2014

Trent's letter on June 23, 2014, "Til Death"

The many things that should be said are left without an utterance. The tasks that should be done remain untouched while the songs that wish to be sung are quenched in the winds of silence. I am in one of those retrospective moods where everything from the past seems to be present and I am longing to repeat what is before me. I love my mission. Man, I love you, Ma' FAMILY!

The chaos and the commotion that I seem to live in is becoming increasingly enjoyable. I think at the end of the day, the thing I'm learning the most is the importance of priorities. I want to know where my priorities are and where my sight is fixed. Often times I feel like it's faced inwards and that has always led to a hindrance of progression. The power and the development I have learned is from facing outwards. I know that there is power in submission and humility. I feel hypocritical saying this truth because of my imperfections in it's pursuit, but I still gained the knowledge through experience.

Ah, guys, guess what? You guessed it. There were some miracles this week... because God is good and so is His work. I'll just catch you up on the "latest and greatest." It was towards the end of the day of an exchange with Elder Holt (my buddy) and we stopped by our investigators house. The first part of our conversation consisted of him and his wife listing ALL the reasons why they couldn't come to church or keep their commitments we left with them.  I prayed to understand where they were coming from and how I could help them understand. After they let off their steam, I just said to the wife, "I want to ask you a question. What do you think our purpose is in coming to your home?" She responded, "To be disciples and teach us what we're supposed to do. I know what I'm supposed to do I just can't do it. I'm too busy.  My husband is too busy and won't make this a priority and I don't want to do this on my own."  I thought about it for a second and just said, "Our purpose is to INVITE you to come unto Christ. We represent Him and will ONLY invite you to do what He would say if He were here Himself. I know that if Christ were here right now He would never stop inviting you to attend church. I don't care what you have going on that seems more important. He loves you and will always invite you to unto Him.  I know that Christ will never stop inviting you to be baptized into His church. I know that His arms are always open to you both and He wants you to have peace, strength and happiness in the family in this life and the only way that can continue in the next life is if you act on the invitations He (and we) are extending to you.  Will you come to church tomorrow regardless of all the excuses you just made?" There is power in the call and mantle of being a full time missionary, I have learned. It's nothing that I have developed or done. After I said that it hit me really hard how true it is. We really are His representatives. "Whether it be by mine own voice, or the voice of my servants, it is the same." I wish I understood that more fully earlier in my mission. Power comes from testifying of Christ and testifying as if Christ were speaking through you. Missionaries are nothing in and of themselves. I know I'm not, at least. They both said yes.  We then said we'll close with a prayer and that we'll see them tomorrow. Right then the phone rang from a random number and someone from the ward was calling offering a ride to church. We didn't plan any of that. We were all amazed at the way that Heavenly Father provided the way for them to come to church after months of making excuses. They came to church and had a wonderful experience being nourished by the good word of God.

We've been teaching another part member family where the wife isn't a member and the husband has been less active for a long time. She has a beautiful heart. She is on date for July 26th and also came to church with her husband. It was a good week. Also, the family of five I was working with in my last area all got baptized last week too. That was cool.

I wonder what else has happened in my life. I don't really know. My memory is darkening as the circles around my eyes seem to be doing the same thing.

Cheers,


Elder Trent Jay Merrill


No comments: